Tuesday 14 January 2014

Music is everything when all else is nothing

"When you're happy you enjoy the music, 
but when you're sad you understand the lyrics." - Frank Ocean

There are so many songs about music and how music can save lives. I think it's a tad over dramatic, but nobody can deny that music does help, sometimes when nothing else can: it can comfort us, express our joy, sadness or anger, is an outlet for our emotions, or help pick up the pieces. May I say, that music is like a quick in-house psychologist, just one click away.

My YouTube playlist is filled with songs that remind me of certain people, situations or places and when I play that exact song it's like traveling back in time and space, blown away from everything around me. I listen to music all the time and consciously use it for mood alteration: I ended up knowing myself and my taste so well, that when I feel a little blue, I know the exact songs or type of songs that will make me break out in a laugh in minutes.

The crazy thing is, that there are so few songs I actually know the lyrics of, by heart. So many of them are just feelings, memories and ideas, flouting around in my crazy universe that I so much enjoy. And the best songs of all are the ones that make chills run down my spine.

One of my personal favorites: it was a ray of light in a pretty challenging time.




No comments:

Post a Comment